By Didier Bonnet
From in-store iPads and streaming media to its strong back-end infrastructure, Burberry has become a forerunner in adopting digital technologies to connect its channels, creating a new, rich brand experience for consumers. The digital transformation of this 156-year-old British icon began six years ago when fashion-industry veteran Angela Ahrendts, became Chief Executive Officer. Although she did not have an IT background, Angela has tenaciously led a digital transformation that has established the company as probably the most digital luxury brand in the world.
In the attached White Paper Capgemini Consulting interviews Angela about her strategy and tactics for this successful turnaround. Businesses in every industry can find many valuable lessons.
Among the highlights:
- "We decided to target our marketing spending on the millennial consumer, in their 20s, and with a clear focus on emerging economies, where the average high net worth customer is typically 15 years younger. And we communicated and engaged with this younger customer using their mother tongue: digital, which would also give us the greatest reach for our limited marketing budget. That’s when the digital transformation started for Burberry."
- "We use the technology to bring the brand to life in our stores: from the music to the rich video content on giant internal and external screens to the iPads carried by all our sales associates that give access to the full global collection, regardless of what is available in-store. "
- "Then came a new challenge in our digital transformation: connecting all platforms and new mediums. All this technology needed to be linked up so that we could have a single customer view that we could use across channels, mediums and platforms."
- I told [the CTO] I needed him to move from the back of the bus, where IT traditionally sits, to the front of the bus. I wasn’t sure he realized how serious I was...If we’re a digital marketing-driven company, we need our CTO, in partnership with our Chief Creative Officer, to drive the bus."
- "We have made a big investment in customer services teams and now, with the new Burberry. com website, you can click to call or click to chat with them, 365 days a year, 24/7 and in 14 languages."
I invite you to read and download the full report and share your experiences with me here.